Information for Prospective Residents

About our Houses

Servants Community Housing manages four rooming houses in Kew and Hawthorn.  Our rooming houses offer single room accommodation only, with furniture and linen provided.

You are expected to be independent and care for yourself and the facilities. Live-in managers provide oversight but are not trained medical staff and do not dispense medication.

Three houses include breakfast 7 days a week and an evening meal 6 nights a week. The women-only house includes dinner on a Friday evening only. Communal kitchens are available for you to use at any time to do your own food preparation and cooking.  Each house has a communal lounge with TV and Foxtel.  Free internet is available.

  • One of our properties in Hawthorn houses 29 people and has shared bathroom facilities. This property also has 8 self-contained units however vacancies in these units are very rare.
  • Our other property in Hawthorn houses women only. This property houses six women with shared bathroom facilities. This is an alcohol-free house.
  • One of our properties in Kew houses 24 people with 12 bathrooms.  This is an alcohol-free house.
  • Our other property in Kew houses 28 people and has individual en-suites (private bathrooms).

There is some off street car parking available at each property.  All are very well serviced with public transport.  There is no smoking indoors at any house.

Rental costs at each house is slightly different, depending on your income.  Please contact us for further information (see below).


To be eligible to apply for one of our houses you must be:

  • a resident of Australia
  • single
  • over 25 years old
  • your weekly income must not exceed $644
  • looking for a minimum stay of more than 3 months
  • wanting to contribute to a safe and peaceful living environment

See our Housing Eligibility Policy for more details

How to apply?

We ask applicants to visit us in person, have a tour of one of the properties and then complete an application form.  Completing an application form does not guarantee immediate housing.

Each house is slightly different with limited vacancies and we will try and match you with the type of house you need.

To arrange a visit, please email the Tenancy Manager at or call 9819 6073.  (We can provide assistance during the interview for those who are hearing impaired or who require an interpreter.)

See our Housing Allocation Policy for more details

  • Facebook Facebook Facebook

  • Support Our Work

    Donate Now to Servants

  • Servants At a Glance

    1986Servants Community Housing established by members of Hawthorn West Baptist Church and Hawthorn Home founded
    2010Canterbury Home founded (short term lease)
    2011Kew Home founded
    20142nd Kew Home founded
    2018Women's House founded
    20Mostly part-time staff
    8 yearsAverage stay of residents
    32 yearsSupport from local churches, service organisations and businesses
  • Help Us

    Servants welcomes volunteer, financial and prayer support.
    It’s what keeps us going.

    So if you have a passion for serving and supporting those who are marginalised, then please complete this form and we’ll be in touch.

  • Download Brochure

  • Stay in Touch

    To stay in touch with us via occasional emails, please join our mailing list:

    Of course, we respect your privacy and won't share your details with anyone else.

  • Contact Details

    03 9819 6073

    36 Barton Street
    Hawthorn Vic 3122