Become a Cook with Servants
Use your gift for hospitality and creating delicious meals with Servants Community Housing. With part-time options available, you’ll be making a difference by helping to provide respect, dignity, hope and opportunity to people at risk of homelessness in Melbourne.
Location: Hawthorn, VIC
Job Type: Part-Time (evening and/or morning shifts)
About the role:
We’re looking for experienced cooks to provide meals for up to 30 residents per night at our houses in Hawthorn and Kew. Mostly working individually, you will create a welcoming and friendly environment for residents, and ensure our nightly meals are a tangible demonstration of the respect and dignity we believe every individual deserves.
Our cooks work in staff-only commercial kitchens, maintain strong hygiene standards, and most importantly are a warm, joyful and gentle presence for our residents at serving time.
Specific tasks include:
- Working 2:30 – 6:30pm shifts
- Working individually to create meals from a set menu
- Serving meals to residents
- General kitchen cleaning duties, including dish washing, taking out rubbish and sanitising surfaces
- Liaising with the Kitchen Manager for kitchen-related matters
- Completing daily kitchen documentation for food safety requirements
You will have:
- prior kitchen experience
- experience working in aged care, disability or other caring roles is appreciated
- a strong understanding of food hygiene and safety practices
- caring, patient, warm and welcoming
And you will be:
- passionate about community
- someone with a strong work ethic
- able to work independently and communicate well with a team
- an ‘always on time’ kind of person – you are punctual and reliable!
- a great cook!
Working with Servants, you’ll experience:
- A meaningful way to make a difference in the local community
- A passionate, caring team
- Flexibility, and opportunity to grow
Please note: In order to protect our residents from infection, the successful applicant must have received at least 2 vaccinations against COVID-19.
Your work will be about more than just creating cooking meals: you’ll be helping provide respect and dignity to diverse people. Your patience, gentleness and love for people will help us create communities where respect, dignity, hope, and opportunity are nurtured.
To apply or make an enquiry, contact our Kitchen Manager, Tim:
Phone: 0431 517 204
Here’s why you will love working with Servants.
Servants provides safe, affordable housing for people on low incomes across Melbourne. For 35 year we’ve prided ourselves on providing more than a bed to sleep in – we create intentional communities where every individual is treated with respect, dignity, hope and opportunity.
These values extend to our staff: we encourage initiative, love a go-getter, and genuine care about how you are going.
Here’s what we can offer you:
WORK WITH PURPOSE
We’re committed to helping end homelessness in Melbourne. You’ll be part of the solution.
Life happens, and we work around it. We’re open and happy to be flexible.
PASSIONATE, CARING TEAM
Be inspired and embraced by a dedicated, visionary team.
CONVENIENT HAWTHORN OFFICE
We’re close to public transport, with amazing coffee just across the road.
HEALTH & WELLBEING
We care about our people. Gain access to professional support through our Employee Assistance Program.
They’re the reason we do what we do – and we know you’ll love them too!